Before a consultation appointment, you will be asked to sign a consent for care, privacy and financial responsibility acknowledgement form. The link is available under the documents tab above for you to download, complete and email back. If this does not work for you, please contact me and I will email you the form directly. I have recently switched to an encrypted, secure electronic documentation system to enable timely communication with you and your care providers. I will send you an access link to that system once our appointment is confirmed.
- I will obtain a history of your prenatal, birthing and breastfeeding situation up till the day of the consult. I will ask for pre and post consult pain levels. This history form is also available as a download under the documents tab. If possible, print this out and complete prior to our visit.
- I will do a physical assessment of your breasts and your baby.
- I will do before breastfeeding weights of baby or babies without and with diaper.
- I will do a digital suck assessment of baby sometime during the consult as needed.
- I will ask you to breastfeed the baby and will observe how the baby latches, your comfort level, etc. When observing the baby at breast, I will be looking for specific functional clues to any breastfeeding difficulty’s source. These clues will help us together to design a workable feeding plan. I will weigh the baby at intervals to determine accurately milk transfer with a scale sensitive to 2 grams.
- As the consultation proceeds, I will make suggestions as needed for increased comfort for you and baby and increasing milk transfer, as needed. This may involve special positioning, use of extra support devices, feeding aids, etc.
- At the close of the consult, I will provide you with a verbal and written plan of care going forward.
- I will provide a written report of the consult to your healthcare providers as appropriate with the information you have given me.
- After the consultation, I will provide continued email or text support for 2 weeks.
- If I think that further treatment or assessment is required by other healthcare professionals, I will tell you at the time of the consultation and also relay this to your healthcare provider.
- If follow-up consultation is required with me, those services will be provided at a reduced rate.
What is different about a home lactation consultation?
- We will use whatever furniture and pillows you have in your home to modify the environment. If you need something to improve your situation, I will help you figure out what that might be.
- You do not have to pre-register etc. A physician’s order is not required for a home visit, although I will communicate with your healthcare provider about the visit and my findings.
- Visits can take the time needed to thoroughly assess your situation. Please allow at least an hour and a half for our time together. Visits CAN last up to 2.5 hours which includes history-taking, care-planning, and pumping as well as feeding the baby. There is no additional charge for this time.
- I do not sell or rent equipment or supplies. If these are needed for your continued care, you will need to purchase those elsewhere. I will provide a “shopping list” for your support person, if needed.